Sunday, December 27, 2009

Why this Blog?


I begin this blog with a desire to share that which is most precious to me - my faith in my Redeemer Jesus Christ. "He is my joy and my song."

I was born into a troubled family and yet because of the love of my faithful grandmother, I had the teachings of Jesus from the earliest days of my life. Grandma Venice Orlena Bills Smith was devoted to the Gospel and a faithful member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. When she and my grandfather moved to the small village of Coutts, Alberta, they found the need for a Sunday gathering to worship. Grandma went door to door and invited young people to join a community Sunday School Bible Study. This was the earliest beginning of the organization of a congregation that would grow to become the first branch of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Coutts. That branch was fully organized when I was born in 1952 and was truly a great blessing to me throughout my childhood.

The testimony of my grandmother, the devotion of church members I worshiped with in my youth and most importantly, the whisperings of the Spirit form the bedrock of my own sure witness that Jesus is "the way, the truth, and the life." Stories from the Old and New Testaments and The Book of Mormon were foundational to my education. Beautiful hymns, Primary songs and lessons learned under the direction of Brother Fred Oertli, Sister Fyfe, Sister Regher and others continue to sing peace to my soul through troubled times. Early on I experienced the assurance of the Spirit enlightening my mind and warming my heart. Testimony fills my being.

I feel blessed to walk in light and truth and want to share that blessing with all who desire the peace and safety that is found in the redeeming power of He who is mighty to save.

I treasure my membership in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and marvel that I live in the day long foreseen by prophets of old - The Dispensation of the Fulness of Times. The heavens are open. A loving God directs the work of his people. I rejoice - The Lord is King.

My brother David and I ready to go to Church with Grandma 1955

No comments:

Post a Comment